Wednesday, May 2, 2012

From my last week in Europe, over a year ago

(I still vividly remember the color of the sky that night)

Regardless of whether or not I got on the night train
it's fucking beautiful outside.

My last day in Castellammare,
I walked down the dock,
in the harbor of the Mediterranean. the bay.
And I stood
up and down I went with the wind blowing my hair
in each direction on that dock
waves like I might have been eaten,
had I feared them.

The water, aqua marine.
Italians have more than one word for blue.
We have adjectives,
light blue, navy blue, dark blue, electric blue.

Madonna De la Aqua.
Spouts of mineral water,
coming from the Madonna herself-
Italians come here to the spout and fill jugs, wash their
faces, pray.
Put together with mosaics made by locals.
Good for digestion.

I feel stronger than I ever have.
Like a horse, an elephant, a whale.
Just because I left my hoodie with a skull
doesn't mean that I have abandoned plans
to play cello in a metal band.

I have become rather accustomed to being alone,
without foreign English speakers nearby,
I think this is as long as I could have taken it.

No comments:

Post a Comment