Monday, May 2, 2011

Woke Up From This One

In Oakland, CA.


I watched the wine glasses sink in the quick sand.
Off the banks.
The sky were bricks of grey, building blocks.
The ground was a beautiful brown, so close from red.
I went after the glasses as they were sinking.
Like I was so afraid to lose the nectar nightcaps.
I lost my footing and
as I was shrunk into, I fell into the river.
Quick moving sand down and then I was swept away
by the fast-moving current. It curved.
When I side-paddled
hard enough to make it to shore I looked
up and through the brambles noticed a man approaching.
Who could have been the man of my dreams-
tattered, labor-working
vest, suspenders, cowboy hat.
He had a stern, kind deep sadness in his eyes.

He put a gun to my head.
I said.
(on my knees)
I don't want to die

I want to live
I want to live
I want to live.

And he put the gun down.
We embraced so tightly that I could feel the curve
of his back.


No comments:

Post a Comment