Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Last Page

In Amsterdam, Netherlands.


Maybe if I didn't fall in love so easily,
it would be easier to avoid heartbreak.

Maybe if I loved myself as much as I loved people,
I wouldn't need to sell all of my belongings,
take a road trip and fly to a foreign country-
just to lock myself up on some hilltop countryside
surrounded by a language that I don't speak
because
things didn't go exactly as I had planned it.

And so.
I got lonely with myself.
I started having dreams
that I was with people-
flying in the sky like a
helium balloon.
Taking ice-cream from passers-by.
and writing poetry on the naked body of a lost lover.

Maybe the hardest part,
was that I made it so hard on myself.

I kept walking and searching
thinking I could force-find
what I was looking for

Only to end up with blisters on my feet and a profound
longing from something from my past,
anything.

(I kept looking for us)

And although I don't think that I have found it.
I have found something.

I have satisfied a deep curiosity
and I feel more able than I ever have.

I don't feel afraid to love
but I feel less certain that it will happen quickly.
If at all.

But maybe that's not the point.

Because I have found that dancing with myself
-eyes closed-
is a great way to dance.

And being and feeling love no matter
with whom, it is just that I am feeling it at all,
is better than being locked up with only myself
to converse with.

No comments:

Post a Comment